Oak and Poison Ivy
oak and poison ivy are allergic skin conditions caused
by contact with the oils from the bark, flowers, leaves,
and/or stems of the plants poison oak, ivy, sumac, ragweed,
include contact dermatitis or allergic symptoms such
as a rash and blisters. In severe cases, symptoms can
also include lethargy (fatigue), sleep disorders, and
general discomfort and feelings of illness.
what these poisonous plants look like. Poison oak, ivy,
and sumac grow as vines or bushes, and the leaves have
three leaflets (ivy and oak) or a row of paired leaflets
(sumac). When spending time outdoors in areas where
these plants grow, avoid touching them and wear long
sleeve pants and shirts. Also wash any clothing that
comes in contact with the plants. Sometimes cases that
do not go away are due to repeated exposure through
sensitive individuals may react or continue to be exposed
to the oils of these plants by being around pets and
other animals petting animals that have run through
patches of the plants. They can also contract poison
oak and poison ivy by inhaling smoke from the burning
In cases of severe reaction that cause difficulty
breathing, seek medical attention immediately. Very
hot water from baths or showers can also spread the
rash and exacerbate symptoms.
At the first sign of outbreak take the following nutrients
to minimize symptoms
vitamin A, vitamin B complex,
vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc. Zinc oxide can also
be applied topically.
Rescue Remedy Cream applied topically, and
Crab Apple added to pure filtered water can speed healing.
Apply a poultice of equal parts of witch hazel,
mugwort, white oak bark, and plantain to affected areas.
Apply a cold compress as needed to soothe
Rinse affected area with apple cider vinegar, and in
the evening take a warm bath with apple cider vinegar
or cornstarch. Aloe vera gel, witch hazel, baking soda
paste, or a paste of activated charcoal powder are also
good topical treatments.
If your symptoms persist despite the above measures,
seek the help of a qualified health professional.
Back to Health Conditions A to Z